Saturday, May 28, 2011

Breakfast Tea Time With My Favorite Girls

I never imagined how much fun I would have with grandaughters.  Years ago, with my two married daughters only having "grand-puppies" for me to play with and enjoy, my mother-in-law predicted how great it would be for me to one day have "grand-children".  So right she was.  And for them all to be girls, three at the moment, a fourth to arrive in October, is an extra-special blessing.


We do so enjoy our simple impromptu tea parties and now that I am retired and babysit them while their mothers are working, we have been enjoying breakfast teas at least once a week. But I am going to have to stay on my toes to keep coming up with appealing ideas for these intelligent little girls.  Their curiosities demand stimulation, so I try to provide information and educational topics of conversation to share between sips from our teacups. 


Go to fullsize imageOur first breakfast tea consisted of purple and teal placemats that featured sea horses and sea shells.  I pulled out my purple tea pot, cups and saucers, clear dishware and decorated with a few sea shells.  As I brewed the tea and made strawberry/mango parfaits, four year old Addy prepared grape jam sandwiches on toast.  She loves to be a helper in the kitchen and was very proud of herself for making these.  Even little Emma, at age 10 months, enjoyed miniature bites of her big sister's gourmet fare from her high chair.  I found a small book on sea horses to read and we learned a few facts about these tiny undersea creatures.  We giggled over the fact that male sea horses were actually the mommys and how Aunt Emily might wish she were a sea horse so that Uncle Jeff would be the one experiencing all the discomforts of her growing tummy!


Our little breakfast teas aren't always fancy, but I think the girls enjoy it just as I do.  I know that in the blink of an eye, they will be grown and become too busy with their many activities to visit with Nana over a cup of tea.  So for now, I will savor each minute we share, loving, laughing and sipping our tea.

Go to fullsize image

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your "girls" and the tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Auntie Jana! I love reading your tea-time stories.

    ReplyDelete